Books, periodicals, images, government documents, news and primary sources for Japan. Covers the Arts and Humanities, History, and the Social Sciences.
Last Updated: Jun 3, 2014
Citation information for both articles and books; must select either articles or books (& journals). Books include holdings information for Japanese libraries. Can export to Refworks, EndNote etc.
- Zasshi kiji sakuin shūsei dētabēsu 雑誌記事索引集成データベース: : 明治から現在まで総合雑誌から地誌まで
Includes the same article data as in CiNii AND data for many journals published in prewar Japan.
- National Diet Library catalog
Search box on left will search journal articles and books simultaneously. Limit after you get results.
- Web Oya bunko
WebOya indexes periodicals held by the Ōya Sōichi bunko, a private library in Tokyo with a comprehensive collection of popular journals reflecting popular culture in Japan. Coverage dates from the Meiji era (1895?).
It also indexes advertisements.
- Japan Knowledge ジャパンナレッジ : 知識探索サイト
General encyclopedias, language dictionaries -- includes Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, 日本国語大辞典, 國史大辭典, 日本歴史地名大系, 日本大百科全書, 現代用語の基礎知識, イミダス, 日本人名大事典. Also 東洋文庫.
- CJKV-English Dictionary
A standard Chinese character/compound dictionary with a classical emphasis.
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism
A compilation of Buddhist terms, texts, temple, schools, persons, etc., found in Buddhist canonical sources.
- JAANUS Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System
8000 terms related to traditional Japanese art and architecture from the 1st century A.D. to 1868.
- Asahi shinbun onrain kiji dētabēsu; 聞蔵IIビジュアル for libraries: 朝日新聞記事データべース
12+ million articles published in the Asahi newspaper from 1879 to present. Also includes Aera & Shūkan Asahi, Chiezō, Asahi shinbun jinbutsu dētabēsu, and Aashi shinbun rekishi shashin ākaibu.
- The Keijo nippō 京城日報
Full page reproductions in pdf format of official Japanese-language newspaper from colonial-period Korea (1906 – 1945). Must be browsed by date. No search interface.
- Maisaku = Mainichi shinbun
The full-text of the Mainichi shinbun (1872 (Meiji 5)- present). Both the Tokyo and Osaka editions (1876-1942) are in pdf format until 1988 and as search terms are limited, browsing is recommended. After 1999, only html is available.
- Taiwan nichinichi shinpō 臺灣日日新報
Official newspaper of Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period, including both Japanese (1898.5 - 1944.3) and Chinese (1905.7 - 1911.11) editions.
- Yomidasu rekishikan: ヨミダス歴史館
Yomiuri shinbun 1874 to present and the Daily Yomiuri 1989.9 to present.
- Digital Library from the Meiji era: 近代デジタルライブラリ (Japanese)
Full-text of 240,000 of 570,000 volumes held by the National Diet Library published in Japan between 1868 and 1945.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records アジア歴史資料センタ: (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English)
Historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions.
- Japan at War and Peace, 1930-1949: U.S. State Department Records on the Internal Affairs of Japan (English)
Covers a wide variety of topics ranging from the rise of militarism, to the bombing of Hiroshima and the Occupation.
- Meiji Japan, The Edward Sylvester Morse Collection (English)
Diaries, correspondence, information on daily life, art, architecture, religion and zoology.
- Recommended Databases for Asian Studies
English language resources
- Japanese Images
Freely accessible websites for Japanese architecture, calligraphy, ceramics, folk arts, maps, painting, photographs, posters, prints, scrolls, sculpture.
- Research Guide for Japanese Studies Resources
Comprehensive guide to print and web-based resources for Japanese Studies with an emphasis on Japanese language resources.