Primary Sources for the study of China, Japan, Korea and South Asia -- India, Pakistan and Afghanistan -- for both premodern and modern times.
Last Updated: Apr 2, 2013
- Global Commodities: trade, exploration & cultural exchange
Manuscripts, printed and visual primary source materials for the study of global commodities, transported, exchanged and consumed around the world for hundreds of years, transforming societies, global trading operations, habits of consumption and social practices.
- China: Culture and Society 1750-1929 : the Wason Pamphlet Collection, Cornell University
Rare pamphlets collection on East Asia plus secondary resources like essays, an interactive chronology and mini guides.
- Foreign Office Files for China, 1919-1980 (English)
From the National Archives, Kew of Britain; full text files adressing developments in China and assessing US, Soviet, British, European and Commonwealth relations with China (including Hong Kong and Taiwan), from 1949 onwards.
- China: Trade, Politics and Culture, 1793-1980 (English)
Original source materials on the activities and observations of British and American diplomats, missionaries, business people and tourists in China, plus rare periodicals, color paintings, maps, photographs and drawings.
- The Amerasia affair, China, and postwar anti-communist fervor
This collection presents documents from 1945-1973. The Amerasia Affair was the first of the great spy cases of the postwar era. The Amerasia Affair sheds light not only on debate as to who "lost" China, Soviet espionage, McCarthyism, and the loyalty program, but also on the bureaucratic intricacies of anti-communism in Washington.
- Political, economic, and military conditions in China : reports and correspondence of the U.S. Military Intelligence Division, 1918-1941
This collection reproduces the six principal MID files relating exclusively to China for the period 1918 to 1941 (general conditions, political conditions, economic conditions, army, navy, and aeronautics)
- Tiananmen Square and U.S.-China relations, 1989-1993
covers U.S.-China relations in the post-Cold War Era, and analyzes the significance of the 1989 Tiananmen Square demonstrations, China's human rights issues, and resumption of World Bank loans to China in July 1990
- China Law Info 北大法宝
Laws and regulations from Mainland of China, many with English translations; also cases and legal journals articles. one concurrent user.
- The Chinese Political Campaign in the 1950s (1949-1956) 中国政治运动数据库
From land reform to the State-Private partnership
- Chinese anti-rightest campaign database, 1957 反右运动数据库 (Chinese, index in English)
Orignial government documents, directives, bulletins,
speeches by Mao Zedong and other officials, editorials of major Chinese newspapers and magazines, articles written by the “rightists", articles published to denunciate the “rightists”, etc.
- Chinese Cultural Revolution Database (Chinese, index in English) 文化大革命数据库
An archive of Cultural Revolution-related historical materials. The materials are indexed in both English and Chinese.
- Chinese Filmscript and Advertisement Collection, 1946-1985 (Chinese) 电影宣传资料
A collection of film advertisements and transcripts of Chinese films and newsreels. Here's a film title index
- Digital archive of Chinese Buddhist temple gazetteers 中國佛教寺廟志數位典藏
237 gazetteers were digitized and are distributed on this website. Of these 13 gazetteers were digitized as full-text archives.
- Local Gazetteers 新方志
Over 20,000 volumes of Chinese chorographic books, covering 31 provinces and autonomous regions, providing detailed geographic and historical records of provinces, prefectures, cities, and smaller district administration units.
- National Library of China's digitized collections on Minguo publications (Chinese) 中国国家数字图书馆
- Si Ku Quan Shu (use Internet Explorer only) (Chinese, traditional) 文淵閣四庫全書
This online version of the Wenyuange Edition includes 3,460 works with a total of more than 36,000 volumes and allows full-text retrieval and full-image browsing.
- Sidney D. Gamble Photographs (English & Chinese) 甘博照片数据库
About 5000 photographs, primarily of China, 1917-1932.
- Empire Online
60,000 images of original documents linked to essays by leading scholars in the field of Empire Studies in five sections: Cultural Contacts, 1492-1969; Empire Writing and the Literature of Empire; The Visible Empire; Religion and Empire; and Race, Class, Imperialism and Colonialism c1607-2007.
- Foreign Office files for India, Pakistan and Afghanistan
Full-text facsimiles of British government documents. 1947 – 1980, including Independence; Partition; the Nehru era; South Asian conflicts; India Pakistan Wars; independence for Bangladesh; Afghanistan and the Cold War; Emergency rule in India; and the resumption of civilian rule in Pakistan.
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service Daily Reports
Created by the U.S. intelligence community for policy makers and analysts, offers foreign views and perspectives on historical events from thousands of monitored broadcasts and publications. 1974 -1996
- India, Raj and Empire
Full-text facsimile manuscript documents on the history of Britain's presence in South Asia, from the foundation of the East India Company in 1615 through independence for India and Pakistan in 1947.
- Digital Library from the Meiji era: 近代デジタルライブラリ (Japanese)
Full-text of 240,000 of 570,000 volumes held by the National Diet Library published in Japan between 1868 and 1945.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records アジア歴史資料センタ: (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English)
Historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions.
- Japan at War and Peace, 1930-1949: U.S. State Department Records on the Internal Affairs of Japan (English)
Covers a wide variety of topics ranging from the rise of militarism, to the bombing of Hiroshima and the Occupation.
- Meiji Japan, The Edward Sylvester Morse Collection (English)
Diaries, correspondence, information on daily life, art, architecture, religion and zoology.
A collection of full-text databases including primary sources, newspapers and other materials.
- Korean History and Culture Research Database 한국역사문화조사자료 데이터베이스
A full-text collection of excavation reports of historical sites in Korea operated by national and university museums, research institutions and associations since 1910. It also includes the Collection of Japanese Colonial Government’s Researches on Korean Culture and History.
- KRpia 한국의지식콘텐츠
Includes historical materials and records in the fields of history, literature, folk culture, nature, Chinese medicine, religion, etc. Also includes materials in Classical Chinese.