Books, periodicals, images, government documents, news and primary sources for Japan. Covers the Arts and Humanities, History, and the Social Sciences.
Last Updated: May 22, 2013
Citation information for both articles and books; must select either articles or books (& journals). Books include holdings information for Japanese libraries. Can export to Refworks, EndNote etc.
- Zasshi kiji sakuin shūsei dētabēsu 雑誌記事索引集成データベース: : 明治から現在まで総合雑誌から地誌まで
Includes the same article data as in CiNii AND data for many journals published in prewar Japan.
Same citation information for articles as in CiNii but can do more precise searches.
Same citation information as in CiNii books -- includes tables of contents for books published after 1986 but does not include library holding information. Can export in CSV and TSV formats.
- National Diet Library catalog
Search box on left will search journal articles and books simultaneously. Limit after you get results.
- Japan Knowledge ジャパンナレッジ : 知識探索サイト
General encyclopedias, language dictionaries -- includes Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, 日本国語大辞典, 國史大辭典, 日本歴史地名大系, 日本大百科全書, 現代用語の基礎知識, イミダス, 日本人名大事典. Also 東洋文庫.
- CJKV-English Dictionary
A standard Chinese character/compound dictionary with a classical emphasis.
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism
A compilation of Buddhist terms, texts, temple, schools, persons, etc., found in Buddhist canonical sources.
- JAANUS Japanese Architecture and Art Net Users System
8000 terms related to traditional Japanese art and architecture from the 1st century A.D. to 1868.
- Web Who
Biographical and bibliographical information on about 500,000 people from Meiji to the present.
- Asahi shinbun onrain kiji dētabēsu; 聞蔵IIビジュアル for libraries: 朝日新聞記事データべース
12+ million articles published in the Asahi newspaper from 1879 to present. Also includes Aera & Shūkan Asahi, Chiezō, Asahi shinbun jinbutsu dētabēsu, and Aashi shinbun rekishi shashin ākaibu.
- The Keijo nippō 京城日報
Full page reproductions in pdf format of official Japanese-language newspaper from colonial-period Korea (1906 – 1945). Must be browsed by date. No search interface.
- Maisaku = Mainichi shinbun
The full-text of the Mainichi shinbun (1872 (Meiji 5)- present). Both the Tokyo and Osaka editions (1876-1942) are in pdf format until 1988 and as search terms are limited, browsing is recommended. After 1999, only html is available.
- Taiwan nichinichi shinpō 臺灣日日新報
Official newspaper of Taiwan during the Japanese colonial period, including both Japanese (1898.5 - 1944.3) and Chinese (1905.7 - 1911.11) editions.
- Yomidasu rekishikan: ヨミダス歴史館
Yomiuri shinbun 1874 to present and the Daily Yomiuri 1989.9 to present.
- Digital Library from the Meiji era: 近代デジタルライブラリ (Japanese)
Full-text of 240,000 of 570,000 volumes held by the National Diet Library published in Japan between 1868 and 1945.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records アジア歴史資料センタ: (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English)
Historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions.
- Japan at War and Peace, 1930-1949: U.S. State Department Records on the Internal Affairs of Japan (English)
Covers a wide variety of topics ranging from the rise of militarism, to the bombing of Hiroshima and the Occupation.
- Meiji Japan, The Edward Sylvester Morse Collection (English)
Diaries, correspondence, information on daily life, art, architecture, religion and zoology.
- Recommended Databases for Asian Studies
English language resources
- Japanese Images
Freely accessible websites for Japanese architecture, calligraphy, ceramics, folk arts, maps, painting, photographs, posters, prints, scrolls, sculpture.
- Research Guide for Japanese Studies Resources
Comprehensive guide to print and web-based resources for Japanese Studies with an emphasis on Japanese language resources.